TWiP #272 – The iPhone 5 for Photographers
Hosts: Frederick Van Johnson, Brian Matiash, Nicole S. Young and Rick Sammon
This week on TWiP:
- Apple announces the iPhone 5 (13:00)
- Nokia gets caught faking new technology (25:20)
- A discussion about the world of plug-ins (33:30)
- Plus an interview with Bryan O’Neil Hughes (59:40)
Listen in as Brian Matiash, Nicole S. Young and Rick Sammon join Frederick Van Johnson to discuss these topics and much more. Here are a few gems from the conversation:
Nicolesy on plug-ins: “We need to be kicked around a little bit to try different things.”
Rick Sammon on style: “One out of focus picture is a mistake; twenty out of focus pictures is a style!”
Brian on software: “Know the tools that you have so that you can make appropriate decisions in the field.”
Frederick on editing: “Be a pixel-burglar!”
Brooks Workshops offering TWiP Listeners $200 off!
Brooks Workshops is hosting a great weekend workshop in October, located at Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara and taught by digital imaging expert Jim DiVitale.
Exploring Adobe Photoshop takes place on October 13th and 14th and is open to all skill levels. This class is designed to give you a working knowledge of Photoshop editing techniques – from opening images in the program to learning advanced creative techniques. Topics will include:
- Workflow techniques
- Understanding calibration and color management
- Customizing Photoshop’s settings to work for your specific needs
- Processing Images from RAW capture to final DVD archiving
- Shooting and stitching multiple images to create large panoramas
- Working with layer blending modes and adjustment layers
- Using selection and layer masking for the multiple image montage
- Using light painting and selective focus for creative effects
This is a really great opportunity to improve your photography and post-production skills and escape to lovely Santa Barbara for the weekend. To register, go to workshops.brooks.edu, select your desired workshop, and enter the coupon code in the box at the top of the page.
The coupon code for Exploring Adobe Photoshop is r6w1u (for $200 off).
Interview with Bryan O’Neil Hughes
Enjoy the conversation as Frederick sits down with Adobe’s Bryan O’Neil Hughes, Senior Product Manager for Photoshop and Bridge. You may just decide that it’s time to upgrade to CS6!
3. A discussion about the world of plug-ins
Nicole: Gear from Really Right Stuff
Frederick: Shutterstock iPad app
Please Support our Sponsors:
This episode is brought to you by Carbonite On-Line Backup. Automatic, continual and unlimited backup for your computer files – for only $59 a year. Try it free at Carbonite.com. Use the offer code TWiP and get 2 bonus months with purchase. Carbonite is “the better backup plan.”
This episode is also brought to you by Shutterstock.com. Find over 20 million stock photos, vectors, illustrations, and video clips. For 30% off your new account, go to Shutterstock.com and use offer code TWiP9.
Connect with Our Hosts & Guests:
Pre-production by: Patrick Reed
Post production by: Suzanne Llewellyn
Bandwidth provided by: Cachefly
Intro Music by Scott Cannizzaro
Photo Credits: Apple